Blog Lets Talk About

Let’s Talk About: Body Shaming On Social Media!

Every time I see a celebrity post a photo on instagram I always decided to have a nose on the comments and I can actually say that they make me feel physically sick.

Every time Kim K posts a picture the comments are full of ‘fake’ or ‘photoshop’ or ‘your body is disgusting’ but honestly, why!? I am not a Kim K fan but i would never call her disgusting or ugly because at the end of the day she is still a human being and we should be empowering each other instead of bringing each other down.

Everybody has unrealistic expectations of what a body should look like and why the perfect body should be. Some believe you should have a thigh gap whereas some believe you should have chunky thighs, some believe you should have petite boobs whereas some believe you should have dd+ boobs, some believe you should be 6ft tall whereas some believe you should be 5ft4.

You will always find that you believe the opposite of your body type is the definition of perfect and it takes a long time for people to become comfortable in their own skin and realise that our body’s were not made to be one shape or size.

So why is it that we find millions of people following the trends celebrities are setting yet everybody soon jumps onto the band wagon of body shaming them. For example, British reality star Scarlett Moffatt was harshly hit by comments on social media when making an appearance on tv. It got to the extend where Scarlett released a statement saying ‘Hard to pretend I’m ok and be  a good role model to others about how it’s ok to just you when the comments from grown adults on here have resulted in me crying my eyes out! I hope you’re very proud of yourselves’

When Scarlett released a fitness dvd she was hit with backlash claims that she had lost too much weight and had taken it too far, Scarlett then decided that she was comfortable in her own skin and put some weight back on. Whilst most, like myself, thought that Scarlett now looks better and healthier in her new size she was still hit with criticism. But why!?

Why do people think it is okay to judge how other people look? When did it become okay to become virtual bullies towards people they do not know. Bullying is something that is no longer happening by children and teens in schools but bullying is now done by adults who think they are brave behind a keyboard!

Related:

Previous Post Next Post

8 Comments

• Reply Emily

You make very good points! It’s upsetting that grown adults feel the need to attack others for their weight. I feel incredibly sorry for those in the spotlight. I know how much I judge my own body, and I can’t imagine what it must be like when so many eyes are on you.

August 8, 2018 at 5:26 pm
  • Reply Malou

Definitely agree with the points you make! Why do people think it’s okay to judge people based on how they look? Mind your own goddamn business??

August 9, 2018 at 10:53 am
  • Reply MJW

Love this post. Its horrendous some of the abuse that people believe is acceptable, it is simply a bullying tactic and there should be no tolerance for it. It really bothers me when I see the awful things said about people, there is no perfect body, just embrace whatever you have!

August 9, 2018 at 11:31 am
  • Reply Minifoxychicky

Our bodies are unique and that’s what makes us so special, we need to stop judging each other and celebrate the fact we are different and that’s ok. Maybe then so many people wouldn’t feel the pressure to constantly try to change themselves for the sake of others, instead, they could learn to love and accept themselves without the fear of being criticised or excluded.

August 9, 2018 at 1:08 pm
  • Reply Liv

I love this post and couldn’t agree more with what you have said. No one should be ashamed of what their body looks like and more to the point, no one should put shame on someone due to what their body looks like. We’re all different so no one will look the same, we should be able to embrace that!

August 10, 2018 at 3:18 am
  • Reply Gemma jamieson

Some people are just spineless. is their own insecurities that they want to make others feel bad. Its sad that i say i am used to people body shaming me but as long as im the one comfortable in my own skin i couldn’t care. we do need to talk about it more so great post!

August 17, 2018 at 7:00 pm
  • Reply theordinaryblogger1

YESYESYES everyone should feel comfortable in their own skin and if they don’t the last thing they need is an army of people telling them the should feel bad about themselves!

August 27, 2018 at 8:25 pm
  • Reply justnatonya

Valid points because nowadays bullying is done by adults. I am not a huge fan of Kim K but I would never shame her for the way she looks. Most of the time people body shaming are jealous and insecure about their own appearance and seek to pull others down so they feel self worth in their own right. It’s so sad and kinda disturbing. Nice topic, shirt and to the point!

Natonya | http://www.justnatonya.wordpress.com